Monday, May 4, 2009

Voices That Matter Web Design Conference - Part 1

I know that I have been horribly ignoring this blog in favor of Tales from Redesignland, but with all the work on the actual redesign, I haven't had the energy to do both.

However, last week I went to the Voices That Matter Web Design conference in San Francisco, and I thought that I'd file a report. I'll probably be talking about specific sessions in more detail later, but I wanted to give a summary of the sessions that I went to.

Voices that Matter is an imprint of New Riders publishers, and all of the presenters were authors, including some big names like Steve Krug, Jesse James Garrett, Jared Spool, etc.

Overall, the conference was pretty stunning, and by the end my brain was full.

People Filing in:
Voices that Matter Web Design Conference

Other photos (not mine) from the conference.

Tuesday

Keynote: Marketing Obama: Social Media Gets a Seat at the Table - Rahaf Harfoush
An interesting look inside the Obama campaign, but to me it provided little in the form of take-aways regarding the use of social media.

Sorry. Web 1.0 Is No Longer Supported - Joel Postman
More a history of web-based social media than anything else, so it was a bit disappointing. Very interesting discussion on flogs, splogs, blogola, astroturfing and other shady practices in the blogosphere. Shorttask is an very interesting example, where you can get paid 5 cents to post a positive comment on a blog post.

Take-aways: People aren't particularly nice on the internetz.

Free Range Content: Unlock Your Ideas to Increase Your Reach - Aarron Walter
I was the most disappointed in this session, not because it was a bad presentation (it was actually very good), but because it was nothing new to me. RSS and Flickr... yeah, I've heard of them. I was more interested in content strategies than learning how to reuse existing content.

Take-aways: Content can be used more than once in one place.

The Trusted Filter: Designing for Credibility - Jason Cranford Teague
This presentation was all about how to gain and hold the trust of your site's visitors. For me it seemed a bit fragmented.

Take-aways: Not really sure.

So, Monday was the weakest day, and I was feeling that (beside the fact that like only two people were Twittering) it was pretty lame at this point. But Wednesday and Thursday were night-and-day better... and they'll follow in part 2.

2 comments:

Barbara Gavin said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your impressions and learnings from the conference.

I would like to talk to you about which sessions you attended on the Tuesday that left you so disillusioned and unstaisfied. Feel free to email me (barbara.gavin@pearson.com) or phone me (617.848.7026)

Anonymous said...

Voice is he main thing and plays an important role in web Designing. By the way have you heard of MiNeeds.com? It really simplifies finding affordable web designers. I used it to find them for my website. Essentially, after I described what I needed on this site, I received several competitive bids from local web designers. I liked the fact that I didn’t have to call around and negotiate with each, and that they actually came to me.

San Francisco Web Designers & Programmer - Get Bids & Save | MiNeeds